Deborah R. Trotter
Deborah R. Trotter is dedicated to consumer advocacy and is best known for her practice in representing policyholders in insurance coverage disputes and bad faith litigation. Deborah is also known as a leader in representing consumers under unfair trade practices and consumer protection laws, including in class actions, qui tam actions and as Special Counsel in state attorneys general civil actions for Medicaid fraud, False Claims Act violations and violations of consumer protection statutes.
Deborah has successfully advocated hundreds of first party commercial and residential property insurance claims, including the multi-million-dollar Hurricane Katrina insurance claim for the Port of New Orleans. In addition to helping numerous homeowners recover throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, and Florida devastated by Hurricanes and natural disasters, she also helped the recovery efforts of business owners, condominium associations, hospitals, and school districts, including Greater New Orleans Federal Credit Union, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, Grand Palace Hotel, Shadows on the Gulf, Beachfront North, Riverview Towers Apartment Corp., Renaissance, Ivy House, 1160 Building Condominium Association, Palisades Medical Center, Pearl River County School District, Barbers Hill Independent School District, La Porte Independent School District, Woodbridge School District, Corpus Christi Independent School District, the City of Pasadena and Woodbridge Township. Helping communities recover as quickly as possible from the heart-breaking devastation caused by disasters brings great satisfaction and reward to Deborah.
Deborah brings to her practice enhanced consumer advocacy skills and experience as a result of her working closely with state attorneys general and statutory based law while representing the State of Louisiana and Mississippi, as Special Counsel to the attorneys general. She is known for her leadership in various pharmaceutical cases brought by the State of Louisiana involving violations of Louisiana's Medical Assistance Programs Integrity Laws, False Claims Act and Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Laws, including in State of Louisiana v. GlaxoSmithKline, LLC, et al., State of Louisiana v. Abbott Laboratories, et al., and Louisiana v. Shire, et al. Deborah is also experienced in representing consumers in class actions for recovery from consumer fraud and antitrust violations.
The last several years have brought insureds of the Central Gulf Coast and Atlantic Coast enormous challenges as a result of Hurricanes Harvey, Matthew, Irma, Maria, Michael, Laura, Delta, Sally, Zeta, and Ida. These disasters, in addition to the numerous devastating storms and tornadoes which have swept across the United States, bring countless opportunities to help policyholders and storm victims through these tumultuous times. Deborah is uniquely positioned to assist and advocate for policyholders affected by these many disasters and has been successful in resolving claims for policyholders.
Deborah spends her time out of the office serving in her community, traveling, playing golf, and watching baseball. Though she enjoys her work, she cherishes her time with God, family, friends, and the great outdoors.
- Property Insurance Litigation
- Condominium and Community Association Law
- Nursing Home Abuse & Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Juris Doctor - 2004
- Honors: International Law Certificate, President of The Environmental Law Society
- Honors: Board of Advocates, Trial Team
- William Carey University, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 2001
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: English Literature
- Minor: History
- Mississippi, 2004
- Louisiana, 2004
- Texas, 2010
- Florida, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- Texas Insurance Practice, Member, Present
- Florida Trial Lawyers, Member, Present
- Florida Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association of Justice
- State of Louisiana v. GlaxoSmithKline, LLC, et al.
- State of Louisiana v. Abbott Laboratories, et al.
- Louisiana v. Shire, et al.
- Excellence in Action, 2011
- Leadership Gulf Coast, 2009
- Hancock County Leadership, 2004
- ATLA Board of Advocates, 2001
- Leadership Award, 2000
Classes & Seminars
- After the Disaster: Returning and Filing Your Claim, Lake Charles, Louisiana, Presenter, 2020, Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Department, 2020
- Hurricane Laura Webinar for Public Insurance Adjusters, Tampa, Florida, Panelist, 2020, Merlin Law Group, P.A., 2020
- Hurricane Irma Webinar for Public Insurance Adjusters, Tampa, Florida, Panelist, 2020, Merlin Law Group, P.A., 2020
- Requirements of the Standard Flood Insurance Policy Proof of Loss: Strictly Construed and Enforced, Tampa, Florida, Presenter, 2018, Merlin Law Group, P.A. , 2018
- Where Are We? And How Did We Get Here? FEMA, WYO and NFIP INSUREDS, Louisiana Association of Justice, New Orleans, Louisiana, Panelist and Author, 2016, Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, 2016
- Hancock County Chamber Leadership
- Gulf Coast Chamber Leadership
- Port of New Orleans
- Barbers Hill Independent School District
- La Porte Independent School District
- Beachfront North Condominium Association
- Woodbridge Township